Monday, January 14, 2013

The Beginning 2013

We'll it's January 2013. I tried blogging my attempt to return to the Run For the Wall two years ago but didn't make the run and the blog fizzled.
My brother and I join the Run in Goodland, KS in 2010 and rode back to Washington, DC. He had made the run in years before that but 2010 was my FNG year.

The good news about the spring of 2011 was that my lovely daughter got married on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and we were able to celebrate that occasion with lots of family and friends. I wouldn't have missed it for anything!!

During the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011 I started having problems with my right leg - pain that would travel across my lower back and butt and then run all the way down my right leg. I trudged into the fall riding when I could but it became increasingly more difficult to move my right leg from the brake pedal to the highway pegs and back. At some points, I had to put my left arm across the tank, grab my right leg behind the knee and support my leg so I could make the journey from highway peg to brake. Not a safe technique for motorcycle riding, so I took a time out from riding until I could get it fixed.

In October of 2011 when I finally had enough I went to the doctor about the leg and began a physical therapy regimen to get some mobility and strength back. When PT (physical therapy) didn't make things better I had an x-ray taken of the hip which showed that I had bone-on-bone contact within the joint (osteoarthritis) and it was a matter of when, not if, I was going to have my hip replaced. On April 12, 2012 I had total hip replacement surgery and started started a year long journey that took me away from the RFTW of 2012.

So now I'm back. I'm joining forces with my brother again to head west to make all or part of the Run For The Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment